The Food Services Department of Portsmouth Public Schools is dedicated to providing nutritious meals to our students and staff. The school division operates a school lunch and breakfast program in all Portsmouth Public Schools. The Coordinator of School Nutrition Services, in cooperation with the school Principal, is responsible for the general supervision of all cafeterias. The School Nutrition Services Department is under the direction of the Director of Operations. The main function of the School Nutrition Services Department is to provide for the nutritional needs of students during the school day. In addition to providing nutritious meals for students, the School Nutrition Service Department must ensure that all the school menus meet the nutritional standards and guidelines of the United States Department of Agriculture.
- Providing nutritionally sound meals for lunch, breakfast and after-school snacks.
- Providing nutrition education in the cafeteria and classroom.
- Providing these food services within a financially sound, non-profit department.
- Working to make the food service program inviting and enjoyable for those being served.
- Promoting united efforts between schools and the general public to ensure that every child has the opportunity to receive the benefits of the program.
- Developing high standards and educational programs appropriate for the professional growth of the food service staff.
- Providing services to the community whenever such services do not conflict with the policies of the School Nutrition Department.